Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Nebraska"- A Portrait of Troubled Times Relevant to 2011

We find ourselves in a very difficult economic period, one that has parallels to 1982 in terms of unemployment. Bruce Springsteen released an all-acoustic album that year entitled Nebraska which provided an unyielding look at individuals in troubled times. 
Occasionally, it is important for those of us struggling within the current job market to turn to art and other endeavors for inspiration and understanding. "Nebraska" is, song for song, one of the best albums for those that can relate to the individual's struggle to survive in the modern world- particularly in a difficult economy.

Perhaps the most representative song on the album is "Atlantic City":


"Well I got a job and tried to put my money away,
But I've got debts that no honest man can pay,
So I drew what I had from the Central Trust,
And I bought us two tickets on that Coast City bus."

No comments:

Post a Comment